Articles on this Page
- 12/10/13--18:58: _KATSUO KUNINAKA - D...
- 12/13/13--17:53: _TTT - BE COOL IN MU...
- 12/15/13--14:18: _NARADA BURTON GREEN...
- 12/16/13--13:20: _Stan Tracey at the ...
- 12/16/13--15:04: _MARC LEVIN ENSEMBLE...
- 12/18/13--16:52: _NARADA BURTON GREEN...
- 12/18/13--20:02: _Stan Tracey-Mike Os...
- 12/19/13--15:29: _LUIS DE PABLO "POL...
- 12/20/13--15:03: _NEIGHBOURS WITH ANT...
- 12/21/13--12:37: _GUSH - ELECTRIC EEL...
- 12/21/13--20:31: _Gunter Hampel and J...
- 12/22/13--06:30: _Stan Tracey-Louis M...
- 12/22/13--11:31: _JEAN LUC PONTY, JEA...
- 12/24/13--01:51: _YUSEF LATEEF - Octo...
- 12/24/13--14:03: _Roscoe Mitchell-Yus...
- 12/24/13--16:30: _ITAKURA KATSUYUKI -...
- 12/28/13--04:27: _DEREK BAILEY and MI...
- 12/28/13--16:40: _BILL COLE – THE FI...
- 12/29/13--02:33: _LOUiS MOHOLO-MOHOLO...
- 12/30/13--14:32: _MILJÖVÅRDSVERKET –...
- 12/10/13--18:58: KATSUO KUNINAKA - DANCING ISLANDS (NEXT WAVE, 1981)
- 12/13/13--17:53: TTT - BE COOL IN MUNICH - LIVE CONCERT (PRIVATE LABEL, 1985)
- 12/15/13--14:18: NARADA BURTON GREENE – IT'S ALL ONE (HORO RECORDS, 1978)
- 12/16/13--13:20: Stan Tracey at the BBC 1978 - 1982
- 12/16/13--15:04: MARC LEVIN ENSEMBLE "SONGS, DANCES AND PRAYERS" (SWEET DRAGON, 1972)
- 12/18/13--16:52: NARADA BURTON GREENE – ZEPHYR (BUTTON-NOSE RECORDS, 1983)
- 12/18/13--20:02: Stan Tracey-Mike Osborne Original 1972
- 12/19/13--15:29: LUIS DE PABLO "POLAR / MODULOS I - MODULOS III"
- 12/20/13--15:03: NEIGHBOURS WITH ANTHONY BRAXTON (GNM, 1980)
- 12/21/13--12:37: GUSH - ELECTRIC EEL (QBICO, 2005)
- 12/21/13--20:31: Gunter Hampel and Jeanne Lee-Oasis 1979
- 12/22/13--06:30: Stan Tracey-Louis Moholo-live in Novara Italy 2006
- 12/24/13--01:51: YUSEF LATEEF - October 9, 1920 - December 23, 2013 RIP
- 12/24/13--16:30: ITAKURA KATSUYUKI - UMINEKONO SHIMA (JOHNNY'S DISK, 1983)
- 12/28/13--04:27: DEREK BAILEY and MIKE OSBORNE. Soho Poly, 1978
- 12/28/13--16:40: BILL COLE – THE FIRST CYCLE (MUSIC FROM DARTMOUTH, 1980)
- 12/29/13--02:33: LOUiS MOHOLO-MOHOLO - London Jazz Festival 2010
- 12/30/13--14:32: MILJÖVÅRDSVERKET – NOW'S THE "FRIPPE" TIME (DRAGON RECORDS, 1985)
A1. Nietzschestrasse 26
A2. The Legend of a White Serpent
B1. Room No. 602 Dream
B2. Dancing Yosuke
Katsuo Kuninaka, bass
Shigeharu Mukai, trombone
Kazutoki Umezu, reeds
Shota Koyama, drums
Recorded live at on 18 October at the Donaueschinger Musiktage 1980 festival
Next Wave - 25PJ-1008
Heinz Wollny, bass, percussion
Butch Morris, cornet, percussion
Dennis Charles, drums, percussion
Frank Wollny, guitar, bass, percussion
A.R. Penck, piano, flute, drums
Frank Lowe, saxophone, percussion
Billy Bang, violin, flute, drums, percussion
LPs 1-4 from the 6 albums listed on the rear cover, 5-6 are unreleased.
Konzept Raum Alptraum
A.R. Penck's private label 16-19
A1. Buddy's Blues
A2. It's All One... Fun
A3. In Your Own Sweet Way
B1. Renaissance Variations
B3. Hey, Little Mama!
C2. Trees Revisited
D1. March Sun
D2. Nicolai Covaci
D3. Cycling Thru The Cycles
Burton Greene, piano, percussion, recorder
Recorded in Rome, April 12, 1978 at Mama Dog Studio.
Horo Records – HDP 27-28
To follow up our previous posting below, here is some truly vintage jazz to commemorate the passing away of Stan Tracey on 6 December at the age of 86. We have selected to hone in on recordings done for BBC radio in the late 70s and the early 80s. At this point he kept a regular quartet which sometimes was contracted into a trio and other times expanded into a sextet, octet and even a full orchestra. For this post, we have two quartets and a trio with a slight variation in line--up as his son Clark Tracey came to replace Bryan Spring on drums. And for a contrast, I've thrown in a batch of the full Orchestra doing a superb set of Ellington covers.
Stan Tracey Quartet
Jazz In Britain, BBc radio 3, 31st August 1978
Art Themen (ts,ss), Stan Tracey (p), Roy Babbington (b), Bryan Spring (d)
1. Waltzy Waltzy
2. Amoroso Only More So
3. Lovers Freeway
Marc Levin, cornet, fluegelhorn, mellophone, flute
Brian Ross, saxophone
Calo Scott, cello
Frank Clayton, bass
Billy Hart, drums
Jay Clayton, voice
A1. Benediction 05:46
A2. Birth Of The Dove 07:22
A3. Love Song 06:18
B1. Pantomime Of Fear 04:08
B2. Angel's Face Has Many Doors - Jesus, Moses and John Coltrane 15:00
Recorded January 1972 at Decca Studios, New York, N.Y.
SWEET DRAGON M.L.1
A1. Autumn Song
A2. When You're In Front, Get OFF My Back
B1. Karasar Zeybegi
Narada Burton Greene, harpsichord, piano, prepared piano, percussion, voice
Side 1, in concert, France, Autumn 1983. B1, NOS Studios, Hilversum, Holland, 11 Apr 1983. B2, Odeon Theatre, Amsterdam, Holland, 12 December 1982.
Button-Nose Records – BN 06
This features Tracey in seldom heard completely free modality, something he returned to later in life in a fabulous series of duets with Evan Parker , which are available(and whole heartedly recommended!) on Parker's Psi ,label .
This was transferred some years ago from a friends quite battered copy , the low res covers are from discogs.
no eq, compression or digi syrup employed, sweeten to taste!
Ensemble Instrumental Alea de Madrid
Jose M. Franco Gil , conductor
Erato - STU 70385 (1968)
Anthony Braxton, sopranino, soprano & alto saxophone
Dieter Glawischnig, piano
Ewald Oberleitner, bass
John Preininger, drums, percussion, pearl syncussion sy-1
A1. Lines (Glawischnig) 14:25
A2. Meditation [for Florian, his son] (Preininger) 5:39
B1. B.O.P. (Preininger) 7:08
B2. Erzherzog-Johann-Lied (traditional - arr. Preininger) 5:16
B3. Anthropology (Parker) 5:44
Recorded on July 24, 1980 at the Tonstudio Ströher, Innsbruck, Austria.
GNM Vol.3 120754 (1984)
B1. AL Part 1
B2. AL Part 2
Sten Sandell, electronics, piano, harmonium, voice
Raymond Strid, guitar, percussion, amplified and processed instruments, objects
Mats Gustafsson, fluteophone, flute, sopranino recorder, soprano vocals, tenor and baritone saxophone
Recorded November 6th, 1996 at Blue Tower Sound System at Fylkingen, Stockholm.
Mastered March 2004 at Alibi Studios, Gustafsberg.
Qbico – QBICO 30
Joyous , Wonderful Music, which doesn't deserve to languish in obscurity on the musty shelves of 'specialist" collectors.
Info from Discogs
B1- Wellspring, Op. 34110:45
C2-One Excerpt From "The Jamaican Suit" By Jeanne Lee9:55
D1-Second Excerpt From "The Jamaican Suit" By Jeanne Lee7:40
Design – Natalia Barsini
Engineer – Aldo Amici
Photography – Isio Saba
Producer – Aldo Sinesio
Vibraphone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet – Gunter Hampel
Vocals – Jeanne Lee
Recorded Rome. July 12 & 13, 1978.
Horo HDP 33-34
A straight vinyl rip , light declicking only ,no compression or digital syrup employed!
Gunter Hampel , appears to be systematically reissuing most of his Birth records catalog , check it out here's his web page
PS ... A small request ,please could someone who downloaded Riccardo's Lee and Hampel concert from 78 ..re-up the flacs , i and i'm sure others would be very appreciative!
A marvellous show which at times strongly evokes Moholo's Masterful FMP duo with Keith Tippett.
Novara Jazz : Stan Tracey & Louis Moholo duo
Recorded at Auditorium Fratelli Oliveri del Conservatorio Guido Cantelli, Novara (Italy)
on sunday 30 April 2006, for Novara Jazz Festival 2006
Stan Tracey, pianoforte - Louis Moholo, drums
nine unannounced (and unknown to me) tracks, for a total of 58'56" see FFP for sequence
FM radio broadcast by "Il Cartellone - Radio 3 Suite Jazz", Radio 3 RAI [third channel of Italian national radio], on wednesday 9 August 2006, 22:00 hours.
duo piano-batteria proveniente dalla storia del jazz britannico, comunque lontano dal soul aframericano (nonostante moholo sia sudafricano), solo verso la fine ci si interstardisce in fastidiosi fraseggi accademici-classici, quasi contemporanei, ma specie nei primi brani vi si trova anche adeguata cadenza. Tra Jarrett (con molte meno note) e Tippett, con un occhio ad Evans...
Lineage (FM > MD > CDR > wav's > web):
notes by Survivor69
A1. Sniffin The Blues
A3. Tears For Billy
B1. Chant Inca
B2. Pour Barbara
Gilbert Rovere, bass (A1 to B1, B3)
Jef Catoire, bass (B2)
Gerard Rakotoarivony, Fender bass (B1, B3)
Jean-Charles Capon, cello
Lionel Magal, percussion
Jef Gilson, piano, flute
Jean-Luc Ponty, violin
Recorded in November 1968 at the Maison des Jeunes et de la Culture, Colombes.
Palm – PALM 2
Sad news - Yusef Lateef has left this plane of being. R.I.P.
Go to his website.
An Audience recording in very decent sound ,and an unusual context for Lateef!
Walker Art Center,
1 Title (AR,gimbri,voc-solo) 9:53
2 Title (YL,fl-RM,ss-DE,contra-bcl-AR,per) 18:00
3 Title (RM,as,ss,fl-DE,as,fl-YL,ts,fl,voc-AR,per,p) 49:31
4 Title (RM,as,ss-DE,as-YL,ts,fl,voc-AR,p,per) 22:40
5 Title (RM,as-DE,ss,fl-YL,oboe,voc-AR,per) 12:47
Holiday greetings to everyone
The sound quality of this recording is considered too poor to become an Incus release, but Derek's partner Karen has kindly given her blessing for this piece of history to be shared and enjoyed for what it is.
So, major thanks to her and of course to my good friend Gus who was savvy enough to take his cassette recorder along to the gig back in 1978.
DEREK BAILEY, guitar
MIKE OSBORNE, alto sax
1. First piece 18:50
2. Second piece 24:12
Soho Poly, Riding House Street, London.
6th August 1978
Cassette recording by Gus
INCUS RECORDS website here
A. The First Cycle
B. The First Cycle
Bill Cole, Ghanian flute, Chinese musette, Indian shenai, voice
Sam Rivers, tenor saxophone, piano
Warren Smith, drums, kettle drums, marimba, percussion
Recorded in the Spaulding Auditorium, Hopkins Centre, Dartmouth College, on 1 August 1975
Music From Dartmouth – D100
This was drummer's 70th Birthday Special concert at LJF 2010 in two sets. First set reunited Louis with Keith Tippett under the title of their 1982 FMP album No Gossip, second set presented him with special version of his Unit. I recorded the broadcast off the BBC i-player and kept the whole sequence with announcements and interview, given in the afternoon before the concert. For various reasons it took me almost 3 years to prepare it for posting, so at last here it is. All the best in 2014 to all.
01. announcement + intro interview 5:02
LOUiS MOHOLO-MOHOLO & KEiTH TiPPETT
02. No Gossip (improvisation) + announcement 33:24
Louis Moholo-Moholo - drums
Keith Tippett - prepared piano including woodblocks, pebbles, bells, music box and plastic pan pipe
03. main interview 19:55
Louis Moholo-Moholo and Alexander Hawkins talk to Jez Nelson.
LOUiS MOHOLO-MOHOLO’s SEVEN FOR SEVENTY ensemble
04. The Tag (Jason Yarde) 5:54
05. Mark of Respect (Pule Pheto & Gibo Pheto) 6:08
06. Un Ti Son Ba Ou (Francine Luce) 5:43
07. Sonke (Pule Pheto) + Lost Opportunities (Harry Miller) 11:03
08. Dikeledi Tsa Phelo (Pule Pheto) + Zanele (Pule Pheto) 14:42
Louis Moholo-Moholo - drums
John Edwards - bass
Ntshuks Bonga - alto saxophone
Jason Yarde - alto & baritone saxophones
Francine Luce - vocals
Henry Lowther - trumpet
Alexander Hawkins - piano
Recorded at the Purcell Room, London on 19 November 2010
Broadcast Mon 24 Jan 2011. BBC Radio 3
A1. The Shape Of Music To Come
A2. Now's The "Frippe" Time
A3. Spontane-O'reenie Part I
A4. Spontane-O'reenie Part II
B1. Spaces And Places
B3. Sounds Of Life
Bengt "Frippe" Nordström, clarinet, contrabass clarinet, tenor saxophone, vocals
Björn Alke, bass
Jan Adefelt, bass (A2, B1, B2)
Peter Axelsson, bass (A2, B1, B2)
Peeter Uuskyla, drums
Lars Svantesson, violin
Recorded at Fasching on 13 June and 21 October 1984
Dragon Records – DRLP 82