Articles on this Page
- 12/17/14--09:18: _ANDY ISHAM / PAUL D...
- 12/18/14--13:07: _NUNNU BIG BAND - KA...
- 12/23/14--17:56: _RISCHKA'S LIGHT FAC...
- 12/24/14--14:24: _AMM - Glasgow 2003
- 12/26/14--09:14: _Joe Harriott docume...
- 12/27/14--19:15: _GERMAN ALL STARS - ...
- 12/27/14--23:28: _DEWEY REDMAN QUARTE...
- 12/30/14--10:12: _HANS KOLLER QUARTET...
- 12/30/14--15:15: _DUDU PUKWANA & SPEA...
- 12/30/14--20:16: _LEE WON HUI AND KIK...
- 12/31/14--04:43: _Tim Berne Snakeoil;...
- 01/01/15--02:39: _BLUE EFFECT & JOČR ...
- 01/01/15--09:26: _MOTOTERU TAKAGI - M...
- 01/02/15--09:37: _EVOLUTION ENSEMBLE ...
- 01/03/15--15:11: _SHIKU YANO. CHIEKO ...
- 01/04/15--05:33: _Mirka Křivánková + ...
- 01/04/15--15:33: _NONAKA "GOKU" MITSU...
- 01/05/15--14:55: _MUJICIAN - BAND ON ...
- 01/06/15--21:08: _MOTOTERU TAKAGI - K...
- 01/09/15--14:24: _TONY LEVIN TRIO - C...
- 12/17/14--09:18: ANDY ISHAM / PAUL DUNMALL - LONG MEADOW REVISITED
- 12/18/14--13:07: NUNNU BIG BAND - KARELIA GROUP "NUNNU" (BLUE MASTER, 1971)
- 12/24/14--14:24: AMM - Glasgow 2003
- 12/26/14--09:14: Joe Harriott documentary, Jazz File, BBC Radio 3, October 2006
- 12/27/14--19:15: GERMAN ALL STARS - IN JAPAN – OUT OF EACH (COLUMBIA, 1971)
- 12/27/14--23:28: DEWEY REDMAN QUARTET - Prague, 1999
- 12/30/14--10:12: HANS KOLLER QUARTET "HAMBURG, 1974"
- 12/30/14--15:15: DUDU PUKWANA & SPEAR – IN THE TOWNSHIPS (CAROLINE, 1974)
- 12/30/14--20:16: LEE WON HUI AND KIKUCHI KOJI – GROW (JOHNNY’S DISK, 1985)
- 12/31/14--04:43: Tim Berne Snakeoil; Cormòns, Italy - 26th October 2013
- 01/01/15--02:39: BLUE EFFECT & JOČR :: New Synthesis 2 (1974)
- 01/01/15--09:26: MOTOTERU TAKAGI - MAKAYA TEMPLE, 1998
- 01/02/15--09:37: EVOLUTION ENSEMBLE UNITY – CONCRETE VOICES (EEU, ALM RECORDS, 1976)
- 01/05/15--14:55: MUJICIAN - BAND ON THE WALL (1989, Set 2)
- 01/06/15--21:08: MOTOTERU TAKAGI - KUKU, NAGOYA, 2002
- 01/09/15--14:24: TONY LEVIN TRIO - City Gallery, Leicester 1991
ANDY ISHAM percussion +
PAUL DUNMALL baritone saxophone, wood flute
1. What about you? 25:32
2. Ossie 4:08
3. Where are we now? 17:22
4. Great days 21:53
Long Meadow, Beausale. 28th October 1997
Nunnu Big Band:
Hannu Saxelin, alto saxophone, clarinet, birchbark flute
Paavo Honkanen, alto saxophone, clarinet, birchbark flute
Juhani Aaltonen, tenor & soprano saxophone, flute
Pekka Pöyry, tenor & soprano saxophone, flute
Penntti Lahti, baritone & soprano saxophone, birchbark flute
Kaj Backlund, trumpet
Markku Johansson, trumpet
Mike Koskinen, trumpet
Emppu Peltola, trumpet
Mircea Stan, trumpet
Heikki Sarmanto, electric piano
Teemu Hauta-aho, bass
Pekka Sarmanto, electric violin
Ilja Saastamoinen, guitar
Edward Vesala, drums, vocals, percussion, birchbark flute
Seppo Paakunainen, violin, birchbark flute, birchbark korn, birchbark clarinet, kantele, baritone saxophone
A1. Optaatus Marssi (Optaatus March) 7:20
A2. Kantelon Koetus (Trying Kantele) 8:26
B1. Joikujuttu (Joiku Story) 6:30
B2. Tuohi Soi (Sound Of Birchbark) 3:47
B3. Uusi Hymni Vapaudelle (A New Hymn For Freedom) 2:27
B4. Kahella Sarvella (With Two Horns) 3:47
All composed by Seppo Paakunainen
Recorded September 8, 1971 at Finnvox Studios, Helsinki
BLUE MASTER SPEL301 (vinyl rip)
The original Finnish instruments used when Nunnu was recorded:
Birchbark Clarinet (a birchbark pipe, mouthpiece resembling the embouchre of an oboe)
Birchbark Flutes (5 holes)
Birchbark Horn (5 holes, blown like a trumpet)
Kantele (with 5 strings to be held on knees or on a table, played with fingers)
A2. Taxi To Musberg
A3. Rischka's Light Faces
B1. Rischka For Rogue's Gallery
B2. Om Mami Padme Hum
B3. Bumm-Bumm's Lullaby
Eberhard Weber, electric bass, vocals, percussion
Roland Wittich, drums, melodron, vocals, percussion
Fred Braceful, drums, percussion, vocals
Siegfried Schwab, electric guitar, concert guitar, sambul-karang, percussion
Wolfgang Dauner, piano, organ, cembalo, clavinet, ring-modulator, bass trumpet, electra-melodica, sound-horn, vocals, percussion
Recorded on 13 December 1970 at Orange Recording Studios Ltd., 3+4 New Compton Street, London, WC2.
CTR-Produktion – CTR 34694 ST
Best wishes to all
Wishing all AMMerry Christmas.
EDDIE PREVOST - percussion
JOHN TILBURY - piano
KEITH ROWE - guitar, electronics
Instal Festival, Glasgow. 12th November 2003
BBC Radio 3 'Mixing It'
Perusing the comments, I noticed that Hum Dono, the record Joe Harriott made with Amancio D'Silva back in 1969, is now finally out again on cd and vinyl. We have posted it in the past, with a little help from friends across the Atlantic, so its rerelease calls for a celebration here on the blog.
I've selected to post a two-part documentary on Harriott origninally broadcast on Jazz File on BBC Radio 3 on 7 and 14 October 2006. The series which were given to artist profiles has in the meantime been discontinued. I got it on two cdrs from a contact at the BBC, so the sound quality is top notch. Presented by Soweto Kinch, we get to hear snips of his entire oeuvre from the 50s and up to the late 60s and many interviews with fellow musicians, acquaintances and biographers. It's a revelation to hear Joe Harriott's voice and l just love his uppercrust accent!
There is a subtext which shines through in Harriott's comments in that he was quite conscious of taking an indedenpent stance against the predominance of American jazz at the time. For him, it was quite important to demonstrate that there was more than one place for jazz which might indicate why he chose the UK which after all was further away from his native Jamaica than the US. He also became a victim of the gradual withering away of the live market for jazz in the early 70s which made a luminary such as Stan Tracey consider giving up his jazz career and taking a job as a postman!
For the sake of convenience, I've spliced the two parts into one for your listening pleasure. There seems to be a little bit missing right at the beginning of part 1, but not too distracting, I hope, so what else to say but enjoy!
A1. Out Of Each
A2. Via Nostalgia
A3. Triple Trip
B2. Sweet Lament
Emil Mangelsdorff, alto saxophone
Günter Lenz, bass
Michel Pilz, bass clarinet
Ralf Hübner, drums
Wolfgang Dauner, piano
Gerd Dudek, tenor saxophone
Heinz Sauer, tenor saxophone
Albert Mangelsdorff, trombone
Rudi Füsers, trombone
Ack Van Rooyen, trumpet
Manfred Schoof, trumpet
Willie Johanns, vocals
Recorded at on 25 February 1971 at Columbia First Studio, Tokyo
Columbia – YS-2500-N
DEWEY REDMAN - tenor sax, musette
RiTA MARCOTULLi - piano
JOHN MENEGON - bass
MATT WiLSON - drums
01 Dewey square 13.44 (fade in)
02 The very thought of you 14.51
03 I-Pimp 13.29
04 Everything happens to me 8.31
05 Stablemates 12.35
06 I should care 13.49
07 Turn Over Baby 9.20
08 Turn Over Baby 9.08
09 Take the A train (encore 1) 5.51
10 Thren (encore 2) 12.51 74:09
The concert was announced at last minute and was a real treat at tradititional pub hall.
Soundboard recording, total time 114:12
This recording seems to be somewhat incomplete - but great playing from all four members.
Wish you all a 'Happy New Year' -
Hans Koller, tenor saxophone
Zbigniew Seifert, electric violin
Adelhard Roidinger, bass
Janusz Stefanski, drums
1. Part I 35:09
2. Part II 42:59
Recorded in Hamburg, Germany on May 12, 1974.
B2. Angel Nemali
B4. Sekela Khuluma
Dudu Pukwana, alto saxophone, piano, congas, percussion, vocals
Harry Miller, bass, bass guitar
Louis Monolo, drums, percussion
Bizo Mngqikana, tenor saxophone, percussion, vocals
Mongezi Feza, trumpet, congas, percussion, vocals
Recorded and mixed at the Manor Studio on 25th August and 10th November, 1973.
Caroline – C1504
A4. サーカス I
A5. サーカス II
A6. アイルランド (The Grenadier & The Lady)
B1. エピストロフィー (Epistrophy)
B4. 砂漠の隊商 (Caravan)
Lee Won Hui, soprano and tenor sax
Kikuchi Koji, drums
Recorded on 1-3 June 1985 at Johnny's, Rikuzentakata, Iwate
Johnny’s Disk JD-13
RAI 3 broadcast a great Tim Berne concert last night. Good to have some decent jazz on the radio for once, so here it is.
Best wishes to everyone for 2015!
Tim Berne Snakeoil
Tim Berne - alto saxophone
Oscar Noriega - clarinet, bass clarinet
Matt Mitchell - piano
Ches Smith - drums, percussion, vibraphone
Recorded on 26th October 2013, at the Teatro Comunale, Cormòns, Gorizia, Italy
Broadcast RAI3 on 30th December 2014
Happy New Year :)
Here is the album I thought some of you like to hear: Rocky fusion of Blue Efect group (named M. Efekt then) cobbled with Czech Radio bigband. I like it constantly. It is currently still available with 9CD box only with complete group's output, so I believe I will make no harm to our mighty Supraphon label. Enjoy.
M. EFEKT & JAZZOVÝ ORCHESTR ČS. ROZHLASU - Nová syntéza 2 (Panton 1974)
1. Nová syntéza 2 / New synthesis 2 (22:05)
2. Je třeba obout boty a pak dlouho jít / One must first put on shoes and then walk for quite a while (9:57)
3. Klíště / The tick (3:25)
4. Jedenáctého října / October 11 (7:29)
- Radim Hladík / electric guitar
- Josef Kůstka / bass, electric violin, vocals (2-4)
- Lešek Semelka / vocals (all)
- Vlado Čech / drums
- Laco Deczi / trumpet solo (1)
- Karel Růžička / organ solo (1)
- Petr Král / tenor saxophone solo (1)
- The Pavel Kühn Choir / chorus (1)
- The Czechoslovak Radio Jazz Orchestra, directed by Kamil Hála
Recorded August 1973 in Prague
Mototeru Takagi, tenor saxophone
Recorded live in 1998 at Makaya Temple, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka
A1. Brilliant Corners
A5. Stone Blues
B. Concrete Voices
Morio Yoshida, bass, percussion
Mototeru Takagi, soprano & tenor saxophone, alto & bass clarinet, percussion
Toshinori Kondo, trumpet, alto horn, percussion
A Side recorded live at Kalavinka on 2 November 1976.
B Side recorded live at EEU concert at Space Out on 24 September 1976.
EEU – EEU-001, Alm Records – AL-3003
SHIKU YANO - shakuhachi
CHIEKO MUTSURRA - koto
MARCIO MATTOS - bass,cello
EDDIE PREVOST - percussion
1. 7:45 (SY.CM)
2. 5:56 (SY)
3. 15:20 (SY.MM.EP)
4. 7:15 (SY.MM)
5. 29:21 (SY.CM.MM.EP)
Sutton House, London. July 1993
BBC Radio 3
Another from number of still-not-yet-on-CD Stivín albums. This one is special for his collaboration with singer Mirka Křivánková (now mainly not musically active). Křivánková was singing on live occasions with these musicians, but album story is different. She recorded some solo voice improvisations in studio in 1982. Two years after Jiří Stivín used them as compositional material, adding his instruments and rhythm colleagues. Alan Vitouš is of course brother of famous bassist Miroslav. I don't have this vinyl, recordings comes somehow direcly from Mirka K., so included pics are from discogs.
Mirka Křivánková + Jiří Stivín & Co. Jazz System - Zrcadlení / Reflections (Supraphon 1984)
Jiří Stivín: Odrazy / Reflections
1. Odrazy hlasů / Reflections of Voices 4:30
2. Odrazy Obrazů / Reflections of Images 3:55
3. Odrazy rytmů / Reflections of Rhythm 5:05
4. Odrazy minulosti / Reflections of the Past 5:10
5. Odrazy odvazů / Reflections of Actions 3:00
Jiří Stivín: Doteky / Contacts
6. Minimální doteky / Minimal Contacts 7:30
7. Mlhavé doteky / Misty Contacts 3:05
8. Bludné doteky / Erratic Contacts 2:40
9. Hravé doteky / Playful Contacts 2:35
10. Žhavé doteky / Ardent Contacts 5:10
Mirka Křivánková – voice
Jiří Stivín – flutes, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto sax, marimba, treating the voice tapes
Ondřej Soukup – double bass, bass guitar
Alan Vitouš – percussion
Recorded 1982 at Czechoslovak Radio Studio A (Křivánková) & 1984 at Mozarteum Studio, Prague (others).
LP Supraphon 1115 3116
Nonaka "Goku" Mitsumasa, drums, percussion
Jiro Shoda, piccolo trumpet
Recorded on 1 November 1982 at the Cheshire Cat
M&M Records - LM-1392
PAUL DUNMALL - baritone, tenor, soprano saxophones
KEITH TIPPETT - piano, bells, music box
PAUL ROGERS - bass
TONY LEVIN - drums
Band on the Wall, Manchester. 16th November 1989
Some absolutely gorgeous music from our heroes.
What an amazing group this was! Enjoy.
Mototeru Takagi, saxophone
Recorded at Kuku, Nagoya, on 11 February 2002
Kuku - 810009
TONY LEVIN - drums
PAUL DUNMALL - tenor and c-melody saxophones
PAUL ROGERS - bass
1. One for Len 40:21
City Gallery. Leicester. 19 September 1991
The trio went on to be called the Babu Trio and then the Deep Joy Trio.
If you haven't yet heard the wonderful 4 cd set Deep Joy on DUNS Limited Edition, download it here.
Hear also Deep Joy Trio Live in Austria FMR CD298-1210